You’re busy, I get it. I totally feel you. After work (even if you are a stay at home parent), school, kids, friends, errands, what have you, the last thing you have time or energy for is to workout. Not just that, but if you are like most parents, there is a large amount of guilt that goes with taking time away from your kids to workout. So here’s a little list I threw together to maybe spark some ideas and help you out!
- take the stairs not the elevator or escalator.
- do squats, lunges, toe raises, standing crunches, while you cook and or do dishes.
- fit in fitness during kids bath time. Put the kids in the tub and do what you can right there in the bathroom or hallway. You can even work in some cardio (jump squats, jump lunges, just Google HIIT for ideas).
- Just like above, fit it in at work. Take a few minutes several times a day to bust out some moves.
- Walk for your lunch.
- scale the stairs- have a stairwell at work? Throw on some earbuds and walk, run, lunge, side step up and down those bad boys.
- Take the kids to the playground and get creative with the equipment. You can do tons of TRX type stuff with the swings. Pull-ups on a bar. Run around the playset.
- Get up early and workout. My kids are up before the sun, so I was never a fan of this, but maybe this plan works better for you.
- create a plan that you can do at home after the kids go to sleep.
- Park WAY out in the parking lot when you go shopping.
- Make it a family affair. Involve the kids. Make an obstacle course in your backyard. Go for a walk or bike ride.
- Throw the kids in the stroller and walk with a friend, or alone, whatever.
- Make it a playdate. Grab some friends and get creative in the backyard. I have a friend that comes over in the summer. We give the kids a bunch of outside stuff to do and we make stations to rotate. We use the wagon (with sides removed) for step ups, sprint the yard, push-ups, get creative with it.
- Get over the guilt. Taking a little time for you a few times a week is important. We need to take care of ourselves in order to take care of others. Plus it’s a great example for our loved ones!
You can do this, Just remember taking the time to get fit and active will also give you more energy to do the things you want to do. Give yourself permission to focus on you a bit.
What do you do to get moving and fit fitness in?
Thanks for reading!